Thursday, April 2, 2009

Who needs the net filter?

The video:



The report:


Number of Australians: 21,542,500
Australians 0-14: 19.3% about half way down under "CHILDREN (UNDER 15 YEARS OF AGE)"
Give a figure of: 4,157,702 children 0-14.

At 15 you can leave school and get a job. This indicates to me that these people are old enough to make decisions for themselves to a great degree. There isn't much point in filtering the net with these people. They know how to dodge filters. They know more about computers than Conroy ever will.

To get an idea as to how many kids at each age I thought I'd just divide by 14. I couldn't find any raw data on each age. There may be more children of younger ages because of the introduction of the baby bonus scheme. If it is wrong in favour of younger kids (which I suspect it will be) that goes against my arguement so it wont invalidate my point.

The gives: 4157702 / 14 = 296979(rounded) per age.

Now, the idea that a child of 8 would be unattended online sounds like child neglect to me. Even with the Conroy filter in place the internet is a big place with adult concepts. Why isn't the computer in the lounge room or similar so that people can keep an eye on what kids are up to.

So six years at 296979 per year gives 1781874 or so.

Surveys are suggesting that 90% of people do not want this filter.
So: 90% of 1781874 is 178,187

So, 21 million people have to give up their right to a free internet because 178 thousand kids can't be looked aftr by their own parent.

WTF!

No comments: